Tuesday, February 8, 2011

OK, Then Make Applesauce!!

I just peel and core the apples (using one of those core-slicer things, see pic) – I don’t cut the slices any smaller, so it cooks up chunky. Add 2 – 3 tsp of both cinnamon and nutmeg… that ‘s all.
OXO - 32681 - Apple Divider

I usually use about 3 lbs of apples (about a store bag size)… enough to fill a large pot. I have been buying an assortment of apple types from Farmer Q’s on Washington…they have a lot on sale now to clear out their stock. I also had a box of picked apples from my sisters trees. The better tasting apples I use, the better the sauce (duh?).

I use my 8 Qt aluminum two handled soup pot – just simmer on lowest heat for 1.5 – 2 hrs.. stir every 20 min or so. When it smells good and looks sort of evenly hot and semi-mushy, turn off the burner and let it cool down for an hour or – sometimes I have to put it in the refrigerator overnight, if I don’t have it cooled enough to put in the freezer boxes. Hmmmmm.....Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love homemade applesauce! I have a bag of old apples in the fridge to use just for that... It's also so good with yogurt or maybe even in oatmeal.

    ReplyDelete